7 Reasons to Love in Puerto Princesa

Sunday, August 13, 2017


Puerto Princesa is one of the islands that I wanted to visit since I was in college. Why? It is because I was so fascinated and thrilled with the thought that I'd be able to see hundreds, no, may be thousands of fireflies light up the night in symphony as travelers sail across the Iwahig River. So when I happen to catch a seat sale at AirAsia, I was so excited because finally I'd be able to witness this beautiful show.

To my surprise, my heart was not only captured by the Iwahig Fireflies but also by a lot of different attractions and produce which can only be found in Puerto Princesa. And on this article I will enumerate the top 7 reasons why I love Puerto Princesa. 
 

Top 1: Iwahig Firefies and Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park a.k.a. "Underground River"

Yeah, sorry but I really do love things that shimmer. The fireflies shimmer, the rocks inside the Underground River shimmer so what do you want me to do? They're both on my top 1 I am sorry. I tried but I cannot break the tie.

The experience was both informative and fascinating and shimmering all at the same time. I love the fact that when going to these two attractions it seemed like you are entering a different world where the only thing that's strange is US - who are unfortunately the intruders on this situation.

The Underground River is a world of the living rocks. This is because the rock formations here keep on moving and shaping itself. We were not even allowed to touch it because we may carry a foreign element that may affect the way they grow. The Underground River also houses different kinds of specie such as bats, marine creatures, monkeys, snakes, and crustaceans. But we may not be able to see all these because of the limited light source. Don't worry you'll have a 30-minute encounter with the bats as they fly and make noise the whole trip. Beware of "Guano" (bat poop) as they have a very distinct odor.

Take a moment and enjoy this tour! Look closely on the rock formations and let your eyes be amazed on these wonderful art of our Creator. 

On the other hand, the Iwahig Firefly tour was both fascinating and thrilling even horrifying maybe because I have a very wild imagination. It was a 3km roundtrip river tour where you'll witness thousands of fireflies lit up your way. The boatman will also give you trivia about the Iwahig Fireflies. This is where I learned that when you point a red light to them, as a defense mechanism, they'll light up all at the same time. You should ask your boatman to do that too if in any case he'd forgot to mention. 

Other than these fireflies, you'll also get a chance to see different kinds of constellations and this is one of the things that made the trip extraordinary too... you'll see PLANK-wait-for-it-TON!!! Yeah, PLANKTON!!! (oops I sound like Barney right?) These group of organisms emit light when you stir the river water! That was sooooo cool! I'd be more than willing to come back at Iwahig River and stir the water forever. Kidding! :P

The Majestic Rock Formations Inside the Underground River
(c) photo owner



The Entrance of the Underground River
(c) tophotographyandbeyond

The Iwahig Firefly Watching Ecotourism and Wildlife
(c) photo owner

The Mesmerizing Glow of Fireflies
(c) photo owner

How Plankton Lit Up the Water at Night (sample photo only) 
(c) photo owner

The plankton found at Iwahig River were color yellow green the way I remembered them and not as many as shown above. But still you'll be amazed at how astonishingly beautiful the river can be because of these group of tiny marine organisms.

Top 3: Luli Island 

Luli Island is short for the Filipinos words "Lulubog" and "Lilitaw". Lulubog means that the island hides during high tide and lilitaw means that it shows up during low tide.

I love this island because of its long cream colored sandbar. Everyone loves sandbars! So there don't argue that it's on my top 3! :P

A little precaution though, during the months of May and June, the wind tends to blow the jellyfish along the shore. So, please expect to swim with them! Go and cover yourself with petroleum jelly so they won't be able to stick their poisonous tentacles on your sun-kissed skin.

The Long Cream Colored Sandbar at Luli Island
(c) tophotographyandbeyond

Top 4: Ka Lui

Ka Lui is a well known restaurant in Puerto Princesa. A lot of tourists eat here be it Filipino, American or Korean. It is one of the cheapest and cleanest art themed restaurant I've been to. And one of the most unique too since they'll ask you to remove your shoes before entering the place. They have a mini locker where you can leave your shoes. I guess they do that so that tourist can feel the homey Filipino tradition. Their comfort room is also SUPERB! Be sure to see it yourself! Now let's talk about their menu. It only consists of a few expertly cooked Filipino dishes. I liked it that way than to be overwhelmed with mediocrity. The price? I think it ranges from 250-350 per dish good for sharing. If you would read the expense summary below I itemized the dishes that we ordered. Try their Sinigang! It is not your typical Filipino sinigang. I hope you'll love it too! One last thing, I think if your bill is Php 1000 and up you'll get a complimentary fruit dessert.  

The Artsy Facade of Ka Lui
(c) tophotographyandbeyond

Top 5: Sabang Beach 

Sabang Beach is one of the side trip of Underground River Tour (per AsiaTravel package tour). It is my top 2 because I simply love how isolated and less crowded this place is. It is a place where you want to settle down and get old with your other half. It is just so away from the urban life that the peace it gave you soothes your soul.
The Relaxing View of the Sabang Beach
(c) tophotographyandbey
ond

The Relaxing View of the Sabang Beach
(c) tophotographyandbeyond

Top 6: Kasuy in English Cashew Nuts

I think Puerto Princesa has a Kasuy Farm that's why they can sell it at a lower price. A lot of tourists hoard packs of this nuts as "pasalubong" or maybe for their own consumption. Try the Roast and Unsalted for me it's much tastier than the Fried and Salted one. I can eat a 110-peso worth of this nuts in one sitting. So when I say buy some believe me! No not "some", buy a LOT!!! I personally regret not buying a lot. <insert sad face>

The Famous and Delicious Kasoy
(c) photo owner

Top 7: Pearls

Puerto Princesa is known for having cultured pearls. By cultured it means that they grow these beautiful little stones, beads or gems, whatsoever and the sell it at a lower price. Those pearls that naturally grow inside a shell, I think are far more expensive.

Okay, so why do I love these pearls? Because they are so so so so so soooooo cheap! You can get them at as low as 25php (a pair of earrings). And one fun fact is the cheaper and more uneven the pearls are then it means that they can still grow and pop another pearl out of their body. Yeah body I don't know what else to call it. So how can you make them pop another pearl? You just have to soak them in water for like forever I don't know how long but just wait and be patient. Who knows you might be the next exporter of the beautiful pearls. Kidding but yeah that could be a great idea!
The Beautiful Pearls of Palawan
(c) photo owner
 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Subscribe